2015 marks the 14th year that volunteers will give their time and energy to clean up the shoreline of Lake Wylie. On the first Saturday in October, between 800 and 1000 volunteers of all ages gather at their nearest Riversweep location to collect and remove tons of trash from the lake in one morning. With 14 site locations around the lake, there’s probably one right nearby and convenient to find.
Riversweep is a great opportunity for individuals, families, groups, and neighbors to come together to clean up the lake’s shoreline as well as area streams, creeks and coves -- and have a good time doing it.
This year we urgently need Boat Captains willing to bring their boats to help ferry volunteers to where the trash and debris are located.
First-time volunteers can expect to meet residents from all around Lake Wylie who share the same concerns about maintaining a healthy lake environment. Count on getting a little dirty, and after clearing away litter all morning, you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing that you’ve made a real difference by caring for the lake and the local environment.
The most important thing for new volunteers to know is that it's easy to come and lend a hand for a few hours, meet like-minded people, and have a great time. Even if people have limited physical ability, there are many tasks around each volunteer site that need staffing. Come alone or bring your family, friends, or neighbors. Kids are welcome, and they are some of our hardest workers!
Here are a few helpful reminders:
- Bring your boat, embark a crew, and receive a coveted "Boat Captain” cap!
- Wear comfortable, old clothing, closed-toe shoes that can get wet and muddy, and a hat or sun visor!
- Bring, and don't forget to apply, your favorite sunscreen!
- We will provide bottled water, work gloves, grabbers, and trash bags!
TO REGISTER FOR THE CLEANUP, CLICK HERE!
(THERE IS NO CHARGE)
- Volunteers 18 years and over can pre-register after August 1st on-line by completing the Registration and Assumption of Risk & Release Form. Volunteers 17 years and under are required to obtain a parent or guardian signature on the form. Print out the form, have it signed and bring it with you.
- The first 1000 pre-registered volunteers receive a commemorative T-shirt.
- If you are registering a group that numbers more than 100 members, please e-mail the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org for separate registration instructions.
- All registered group leaders and boat captains will be contacted in advance of the event by a Riversweep organizer to provide additional information and instructions.
- If you do not pre-register, but would still like to participate, just show up at 8:00 a.m. on October 3, 2015, at any of the 14 sites listed official Riversweep web site - www.lakewylieriversweep.com
Lake Wylie Riversweep is organized by Catawba Riverkeeper Foundation, Lake Wylie Covekeepers, and the Lake Wylie Marine Commission. The annual cleanup is sponsored by many local organizations, businesses, and individuals. We are all volunteers who come together in this annual demonstration of local pride and environmental stewardship to help protect Lake Wylie. We are excited that you have chosen to check us out. Please consider volunteering today, and we hope to see you on October 3rd!